Georgia State Park Pet Policy
Georgia (January 25, 2005) – Georgia State Parks joins pet-friendly trend by accommodating man’s best friend. As of this January, three parks around the state will allow dogs at designated pet-friendly cottages. Visitors with four-legged friends will now be able to enjoy all the comforts of staying in a cottage without the inconvenience of leaving pets at home or the costs associated with boarding. Visitors will be required to pay a $40 fee per dog, up to two. There are no extra weight and size fees. For reservations at these pet-friendly locations, please use our website or call 1-800-864-7275.
To accommodate visitors with dogs, Georgia State Parks designated dog friendly cottages that include cottages #1 and 2 at Seminole State Park, located in southwest Georgia on Lake Seminole; cottages #10 and 11 at Crooked River State Park, located in St. Mary’s on Georgia’s coast; and cottages #18 and 19 at Tugaloo State Park, located in Lavonia on Hartwell Lake.
“We know that traveling with pets is a growing trend,” said State Park Director Becky Kelley, “so we wanted to offer cottages as an option for our overnight visitors.” Previously, dogs had been welcome only in state park campgrounds.
All dogs are required to be house-trained, should be kept on a leash when not inside the cottage and must stay under owner supervision at all times while in the park. Guests are also responsible for any damage to the cottage, and all dogs must have current vaccinations and be free of ticks, fleas and mange. Visitors may find more in-depth policies at each of the participating parks.
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources operates the Georgia State Parks system. Natural environments, comfortable lodging and affordable rates await guests year-round. The parks offer such diverse recreational activities as hiking, swimming, fishing, golf and biking. For information or reservations at these outdoor getaways, call Georgia State Parks at 1-800-864-7275.
Visiting Georgia's State Parks with Your Canine Friends
To accommodate the growing number of visitors who travel with their dogs, Georgia’s State Parks offer "fido-friendly" cottages. All state parks that offer rental cottages have at least one cottage that allows dogs.
Reserving your cottage:
* You must request a dog-friendly cottage prior to arrival. Reservations are strongly encouraged.
* To make a reservation, call 1-800-864-7275 or visit www.GeorgiaStateParks.org.
* A fee of $40 per dog (limit 2) will be collected at check-in and covers the duration of your stay.
To stay in a cottage, your dogs must:
* Have current vaccinations and be housetrained.
* Be free of fleas, ticks and mange; and not be in heat.
The following rules must be followed:
* A maximum of two dogs per cottage is allowed, regardless of size.
* Dogs may not be left unattended at any time, either in the cottage, your vehicle or the park.
* Dogs must be kept on a 6-foot leash at all times when not inside cottages.
* Dogs may not be tied up to trees, fences or anchored to the ground.
* Guests are required to clean up after their dogs.
* Dogs may not be taken into cottages that are not designated “fido-friendly.”
* Guests will be asked to vacate their cottage if their dogs disturb other guests.
* Park management reserves the right to prohibit any dogs on the premises that may pose a risk to guests or staff, or has a history of causing trouble.
* Extra fees will be assessed when extra cleaning is required or if there is damage to the cottage or fixtures. Park management will assess damage fees based on materials and labor required to make necessary repairs.